The True Definition Of Napoletana Style Pizza
Pizza is one of the most popular snacks and meals one can quickly order. Although there is a basic pizza recipe to follow, different regions have their distinct ingredients and not all pizzas are the same. In fact, you can come up with several different types of the dish which is why many people love it.
One popular recipe is the Napoletana style pizza and it includes a couple of unique characteristics. This pizza basically gets the name from its origin in Naples Italy. It is also referred to as Pizza Napoletana or Neapolitan Pizza.
Napoletana style pizza is made from simple fresh ingredients that are readily available from the grocery store and most supermarkets.
- Basic dough
- Fresh mozzarella cheese
- Raw tomatoes
- Olive oil
- Fresh basil.
From the above list of ingredients, it is clear that the recipe contains no decorative toppings. The conventionally know pizza which consists of dough topped with cheese and tomatoes originated from Naples Italy and the Napoletana style pizza generally brings only a few additions.
The main attribute of Pizza Napoletana is that it is that they put more sauce than cheese. This leaves the final pie wetter at the middle and it feels quite soggy. Because of the sogginess, Napoletana pizza is rarely served in slices and the recipes have been adjusted to produce a fairly small size.
These pizzas are often 10-12 inches (almost the size of a personal pizza) and are cooked at very high temperatures (about 850 degrees Fahrenheit). Cooking should not go beyond 90 seconds at these high temperatures to avoid burning. In order to understand the specific characteristics of Neapolitan pizza, it is important to read through the qualifications requirements.an official certification organization known as VPN (Associazione Verace Pizza Napoletana) was founded in 1984.
It basically certifies pizzas that utilize the proper artisan traditions and a number of requirements must be met before a restaurant gets this certification.
SOME OF THEM INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING;
• The crust has to be made from highly refined type 0 or 00 Italian wheat flour. Use fresh brewer’s yeast or Neapolitan yeast, salt and water. Dry yeast is not allowed
• The dough has to be kneaded by hand or a slow mixer. Formation should be via hand and not rolling pins
• Topping is done with raw Italian San Marzano tomatoes (pureed), fresh basil and virgin olive oil.
• The cheese options are fior di latte (mozzarella cheese from cow milk) or mozzarella di bufala (mozzarella cheese from water buffalo milk). These water buffalos are raised in Lazio and Campania marshlands
• The ingredients must be natural and cooking should take between 60 and 90 seconds at temperatures not lower than 800F
Although some restaurants make Napoletana style pizza that does not meet all these conditions, they do not have the VPN certification. A good Neapolitan pizza will have thin soft crust and is slightly larger than a Frisbee. There are a few variations of the pizza and each has a unique ingredient (like garlic and oregano) added. You can find certified restaurants all over Italy as well as in US. If you have a hot oven at home, you can follow the simple recipe and make your own delicious pizza Napoletana.